Friday, July 31, 2015

Hello from New York!

Hi readers,
Now that I have successfully redecorated my bookshelves in my current home (see: yesterday) I am thrilled to be writing from my forever home, New York City. Details on my flight below.

The flight from Madrid Barajas to New York John F Kennedy takes approximately 7 hours (longer on the way back going against the wind). I have broken the experience into time intervals for easier reporting.

Minute -30: Spanish nationals start lining up for the plane. Spanish people simply adore standing in line--it's very puzzling. 
Minutes 0-45: Board and promptly fall asleep. All going well according to 'napping and reading' flight plan.
Minute 46: Helpful stewardess wakes me up to ask if I would like something to drink. I unenthusiastically accept some tepid water in an akward plastic cup
Minutes 60-90: Airplane 'semi-food' lunch service. Delighted to be awake to invent mental expressions including 'pasta glue' and 'air prison'
Minute 100: Oratory discovery of the esteemed college-aged world travellers sitting behind me. Loud discussion of merits of European living ensues.
Minute 101: I didn't bring any earplugs.
Minute 105: Or an eye mask
Minute 125: Or any Xanax. And the current discussion about the merits of the European gay pride movement is much too loud for reading Don Quixote. Or even Spanish Vogue.
Minutes 126-360: American Ninja warrior followed by the Avengers. Thank God.
Minute 361: Accept 'American Airlines hot veggie snack' mostly because not accepting would clearly ruin helpful stewardess's whole day. 
Minute 371: Return unopened veggie snack to passed trash. 
Minute 385: Peanut gallery now discussing 'the woes and excitements of their new Americorps positions'. Was I ever that annoying? Probably. In total desperation, strike up a conversation with the man sitting next to me. 
Minutes 390-420: Light-hearted discussion of my terrible Spanish language abilities and uncertainty about my future in education. 
Minute 421: Touchdown! Disembark the plane and interestedly watch an unlicensed Pakastani taxi driver get arrested outside the airport. Welcome home! 




No comments:

Post a Comment