Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How to Buy Souvenirs

Hi readers,

Cathedral Saint Alexander Nevski, Sophia
 I was traveling with a friend in Bulgaria this year and we found an adorable handicraft shop (in the lobby of Bulgarian National Art Gallery and Ethnographic Museum in Sophia, in case anyone is interested). Turns out Bulgarians make delightful pottery, woven rugs and these adorable red thread friendship bracelets.  Who knew? 

After a few minutes hours in the shop, we had our purchases lined up.  After careful consideration, my friend bought an amazing set of dishes, mismatched in that purposeful, whimsical way and complete with a serving platter. I went to dinner at her apartment recently and she served vegetable-stuffed mini-pumpkins and Greek salad in her new set of dishes. When she is not using them, the dishes sit in a fashionable break-away cabinet, on display with a well-cultured and useful mix of other international treasures.

I bought 2 friendship bracelets friendship bracelets and an impractically-sized, oven-safe dish.  I made nachos in my lonely little dish once and occasionally my roommate uses it to artfully display lemons.  I have my friendship bracelets carefully stored in a plastic shopping bag, so I can bring them back to the 1980s if I ever find a time machine. 

I am terrible at buying souvenirs.

Some people can walk into a shop with a sense of purpose and all the right questions:

Is this locally produced?  Are you the artist? Is this dishwasher safe? Do you ship internationally? 

I am more likely to walk into a shop and awkwardly attempt to sputter around in whatever the local language is, ignoring the fact the shop keepers obviously speak English, and walk out after admiring the postcards. (I actually used to COLLECT postcards when I was a little girl. Obviously my fascination with being terrible at buying souvenirs started early. File under "most pathetic hobbies in the world")

Currently, in my always-present attempts to be a more useful adult, I am working on my souvenir buying ability. During my trip to Portugal I studied another adept souvenir purchaser (my mother) and came up with some guidelines:

How to Buy Souvenirs 

1) Know your purpose. For example, my mother shops for Christmas presents.  My brother decorated an entire room in his house in an "African art and music" theme.  Some people collect something more interesting than postcards.  Maybe you are hosting a lunch when you get back and everyone wants a friendship bracelet.  Perhaps the region where you are traveling is known for something (Turkish rugs, Venetian stained glass, Andalusian tiles, etc).  Figure out a purpose-it will make shopping more interesting. 

2) Know that the souvenirs are weird-looking by themselves. There is a reason my (very knowledgable) friend bought a set of Bulgarian pottery.  Don't be afraid to buy in bulk. If you really like something and you don't want it to look weird surrounded by normal western things, buy more than one.

3) Just buy something.  Remember at the end of the day you are supporting the local economy.  It's an important part of tourism.  Be proud to buy something, even if you end up simply using your large Portuguese rooster as a bookend.  

Me in Bulgaria, being terrible at buying souvenirs, below. 








No comments:

Post a Comment