Thursday, April 30, 2015

Easy Fun Dinner Recipes

Hi readers,

After drinking 2 bottles of wine last night careful thought, I made a pledge this morning: Start cooking healthy, interesting dinners.  I love like know how to cook, but I have fallen into a boring routine.  On Sunday night I cook a big pot of pasta, throw in a bunch of vegetables, and make 3-4 portions to eat during the week.  Reasonably healthy but totally un-fabulous.  It's time to shake things up.  In my quest for easy, fun dinner recipes, I came up the with following guidelines:

Interesting Dinner Recipes Pledge 

1) Make a sauce.  Sauce sounds interesting! I am going to start with this list from Cooking Light 

2) Marinate.  After some preliminary internet research it seems as long as you have one acidic or enzymatic liquid (lemon juice, vinegar, wine, etc) you can get creative with your other ingredients.  I want to try hot honey orange BBQ

3) Love Your Grocery Store.  In writing this post I realized my grocery store is merely functional.  I love the nice Chinese family and they sell cereal.  Not fabulous.  I want to find a grocery store I love!   There's a market near me with fresh produce stands, butcher counters, cheese stands...I am going to make the time to go and (hopefully) get inspired.

4) Mix and Match.  Last week, I made pasta.  Next week, I'm going to make quinoa.  Or farrow.  Or barley.  Or a different shape of pasta.  It's time to get creative.

5) Know Your Pantry.  I personally don't believe in keeping too much food in the pantry.  It seems that those "won't-it-be-nice-to-have-cookies-when-I-have-company" cookies turn into "won't-it-be-nice-to-sit-on-the-couch-and-get-fat" cookies every time.  So this list is short but sweet and full of things it is difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to binge-eat on a random Tuesday night.

I always have:
Olive oil
Tomato paste
Cinnamon
Chile powder
Herbs de provence
Eggs
Frozen spinach


How do you deal with weeknight cooking?  Post a comment and let me know--I need all the help I can get!

   



No comments:

Post a Comment