Friday, July 3, 2015

Summer Routines

Hi readers,
Welcome to July.  What a glorious month, when time seems to actually slow down as various vacationers find their rental keys tucked under the doormat/decorative frog/whimsical and ironic hipster gnome/whatever and unlock the possibilities of the restful summer weekend.
I have come to the conclusion reading over the viewing stats of RWF carefully meditating in the summer sun, that summer changes routines.  I think it's an important concept to embrace--it helps delineate the passing of the year.  Here are some of the changes I notice in myself:

1. Coffee.  I don't drink as much coffee in the morning during summer months.  It's nice to let the daylight wake me up. Also, coffee tastes more like Bailey's than usual different.  I think there is probably some Eastern medicine explanation about hot drinks on hot days?
2. Bedtime.  In an inverse relationship (look it up) with my coffee consumption, I seem to go to bed later in the summer.  Yes, I'm a teacher and don't have to "go to work" in the summer.  But that's besides the point.  I embrace the late night hours more, the delicate time around sunset that seems to stretch out in the heat like sidewalk gum.
3. Cleaning.  Something about summer makes me a little tidier.  Maybe it is the crushing heat of the mid-afternoon hours, or the allure of shuffling around as a way of relaxing, or the way the summer sun picks up the coating of dust I generally allow to accumulate over all my worldly possessions, but I enjoy doing dishes, sorting through pictures and picking kinder egg wrappers out of the couch a little more during summertime.
4.  Stress.  Summer has a way of sorting out what is really important.  I talk to my family, read good books, write what I want and enjoy the things I do each day.  The grind is removed more for me than people engaged in other professions, but I think the summer stress reduction is true across across the board.
5.  Food.  I seem to eat a little less in the summer. Thank God.  Except I've developed this strange habit of eating chocolate for breakfast.  I'm telling myself it's very european--for now.  C'est la vie. Summer beaches below!

Zanzibar 2012

Barcelona 2015


Enjoy the beautiful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment