Thursday, May 21, 2015

Know Your Limits

Hi readers,
I made an important decision this morning:  
I'm canceling my hair appointment.  

Why?! You are dying to know!! 

Here it is: The idea of going to sit in a salon for 4 hours this afternoon after working from 6 AM-6 PM simply makes me want to cry and I'm not going.

To you, this may sound like a relatively insignificant confession.  One hair appointment.  Sure, I may be a little scraggly looking "boho chic" looking, but that is the epitome of spring style! (Other ways to look "boho chic" include general refusal to plug in an iron for either hair or clothes and infrequent showering practices.  We LOVE "boho chic"  See photo)

However, this particular hair appointment represents something more.

I am constantly, thoughtlessly doing things 'because I said I would'. This hair appointment represents a conscious attempt to re-arrange my schedule in order to make my day more enjoyable.

When is the last time you looked at your calendar and considered which appointments existed to make your day more enjoyable?  It's an interesting, (and possibly moderately depressing) exercise.

Some appointments are important to keep as scheduled.   For example, personal training sessions and martini dates doctors appointments and meetings with my boss should probably not be moved around.   In fact, there is something moderately satisfying about having my schedule dialed in and running whole days of my week on autopilot.

But you know what else is satisfying? Flexibility! Free time!
The beautiful feeling of weightlessness associated with creating a few free hours in the day.
Maybe I will drink iced coffee while I stare blankly at the wall meditate. Or go on a walk or try a new restaurant.  The possibilities are endless!

What would you do with a few extra hours in your day today? Comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment