Monday, May 18, 2015

How to Travel with Your Friends

Hi readers,
After an exhausting weekend in Milan, I dutifully logged into my gmail to check for update e-mails from Watch What Happens Live CNN International and quickly migrated my attentions to Rhymes with Fabulous to update the blog-world with my thoughts about fabulous Milan travel itineraries.

Then I looked on the internet. Turns OUT, there are already approximately 7,000,000 Milan travel itineraries available.  From professional travel writers (well, you know what I mean--OTHER professional travel writers)  Here are links to some great ones:


Hostelworld Milan travel itinerary
Viator Milan Travel Itinerary
Itlaylogue Milan Travel Itinerary
Trip Advisor Milan Travel Itinerary

Seriously--read the itineraries and do all those things!!  Or google "Milan Shopping Eating Wine Cultural Travel Itinerary" and do all THOSE things.  They are wonderful, magical things.


You know what I like to do in Milan?  Drink cappuccino.  Also, watch other people walk around.  Also,  draw cappuccino pictures in my journal.  Also, daydream in nonsensical half-thoughts. Also, write the daydreams down in my journal in big, slow, loopy letters.

These activities may sound familiar if you are a writer.  Problem is, I was not in Milan with other writers.  I was in Milan with normal people, who would have likely thought I was crazy if I had whipped out my journal full of cappuccino pictures.

I realized about half way through the first day of our trip that I had gotten FAR too comfortable with "writer's vacations"--the cute pet name I have for the weekends where I arrive alone in a new city and spend 3 hours every day in coffee shops, listening to people speak languages I don't understand and writing about the way their hands look while they are talking.

Listen, I love these vacations.  But trips with other people are different in some wonderful ways.  For example: I barely had to talk to myself for 3 whole days!  I went to nice restaurants and sat at actual tables!  I ordered bottles of wine and remember finishing them!

Here are some ways to ensure you get the most out of travel with your wonderful friends:

HOW TO BE FABULOUS IN SMALL GROUP TRAVEL

1) Use Air BnB.  A bit expensive when I am traveling solo, I had my first Air BnB experience in Milan and absolutely loved it! The apartment was comfortable and right in the middle of town.  We drank wine and ate snacks at home.  Someone had left cookies.  And tea!

2) Take naps.  I am a full convert to the Spanish siesta, especially in the hot months of spring and summer. There is no shame in the phrase, "Let's rest for 30 minutes."  Bonus: it tends to prevent hot, cranky fighting--a decidedly un-fabulous activity (both on vacation and in general).

3) Have an agenda.  The best idea is a specific event you are traveling for (in Milan, for example we went to see the World Expo, which I would highly recommend).  Concerts are great too.  If there is no time-specific occasion, at least have a few (seriously, 3 a day, tops) sites that you want to visit.

4) Have a "Priorities Discussion".  When you ARRIVE at Prada is not the time to discuss how many hours to spend there.  Before you depart figure out how you want to budget your time-Wine tasting?  Handbags?  City tours?  Massages?  If you plan in advance you can compromise split up so everyone gets to do what they want.

5) Research the Location.  When I travel alone, I read as I go.  For traveling with others I think its better to have a little bit of background knowledge so you can impart interesting facts.  For example, did you know there are FIVE major fashion brands with headquarters in Milan? Or that the Italian Grand Prix is held in Milan every year?  Or that the Duomo took almost 400 years to complete?  Or that the calories in tiramisu are negated if you drink an espresso after dessert?  (Sorry, just wondering if you were still reading)

Happy travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment