Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Present Tense

Hi readers,

In my constant quest for my most fabulous life, I realized something important today:  I often talk in past tense.  For example:

"Last night's episode of Keeping up the Kardashians PBS Nature was amazing!"
"My girlfriends and I took a trip to Woodbury Commons Vegas Napa Valley last year  "
"I read in the news about Bruce Jenner Dancing the Stars the upcoming presidential election"




As a result of all this talk in the past, I do not feel very present.  Not a big surprise.  I've been puzzling all year over how to "live closer to the moment" and feel more involved in my everyday life.  I believe shifting to the present tense, literally, in my conversations, just might make a difference.   Let's observe:

Option 1: I went to dinner this weekend at a fabulous new restaurant.
Option 2: Right now, I am starving.  Would you like to come to lunch with me so we can catch up?

Option 1: I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed, then I read her Dear Sugar advice column as well.
Option 2: Right now, I'm reading "The Enchantress of Florence".  Salman Rushdie is such a beautiful writer, I think he is one of my favorites.

Option 1: Work yesterday made me want to drop kick a puppy.
Option 2.  Today at work we are going to dissect squid, my students are so excited.

Speaking in the present tense feels alive.  The words dance and fly instead of drooping and dragging like yesterdays Botox.  The present tense is exciting! I want to start right now.  Wish me luck : )


No comments:

Post a Comment