Friday, January 3, 2014

Small Habits

Hi reader,
I was just scrolling through an awesome edutopia article called Cultivating Healthy Habits of Mind (in case you were curious about how teachers spend Friday night) and I thought they made some excellent points about habits:

1. A habit is a regular practice.  You don't think about habits, they are just what you do. You can improve or replace habits you don't like, because they won't go away on their own.
2.  "We form our habits, then our habits form us" -Brain Tracy (I have no idea who this is, just giving credit where credit is due)
3.  Small habits chained together are a routine.  Be intentional about the routines and habits you choose.


In reading all this information, I had two realizations. 

1. Habits are probably important
2. I think I suck at habits

Here's the thing.  My habits are lame.  I like to exercise, I try to volunteer, I enjoy reading education blogs in my free time, I read the Post (ok, I read Page Six and skim the headlines...isn't that what everyone means when they say they read the Post?), I shop for tops that make my arms look good....next stop, loser-ville, then crazy-cat-lady-junction.

In pondering all this, I realized I need to shake things up and knock it off with my stupid granny habits.  In the past (because let's face it, this isn't the first time I've had to drag myself away from this octogenarian habit abyss) I have tried to take up painting, piano, yoga, boxing, even jewelry making.  Here are some things I have learned about habits:

-It is nice if habits are easily transferable from place to place
-I enjoy when a habit enhances my travel opportunities and allows me to meet new people
 -Once a habit become a part of the routine, it naturally seems boring (see above).  That's because routines are boring.

Mentioning trying new things...flash mob?  Yes please! 
So...drum roll please...I realized I my habit is trying new things!  Now I don't have to feel bad about my half-used supply of jewelry beads, or the fact I hate yoga, or that I suck at painting.  I'm guilt-free! I was just trying a new thing!
I'll explore different neighborhoods, learn to make icing flowers, take a language class...Groupon, are you listening?  I'll be in your commercial if you ask nicely : )
I'm off to figure out what fabulous new things I will try this week...right after I finish reading my education blog and have some tea.


Reader, what are your habits?  Comment below! Also, check out the weirdest habits EVER at this link

No comments:

Post a Comment