Friday, January 3, 2014

#fabulous

Hi reader,
So I had a big pause in my social media usage this summer and fall.  Its funny how going through a break-up can make you so much less interested in what your friends ate for breakfast/saw at the museum/did with their husbands and children.  Honestly, I really enjoyed my time away the screen(s).  Even as I'm taking my slow victory lap return to social media outlets, I still can't quite deal with the way people think they know each other because of things they see posted on Facebook, etc. To clarify: someone you have never met before in your life, who you follow on Twitter, probably should not be referred to as your friend in casual conversations.  But hey, what the hell do I know?


The point is two-fold.  First, I would just like to
say that Dave Eggers paints a excellent picture of where the social media movement is headed in his novel The Circle.  Good books are getting harder and harder to find these days (probably because all the authors now write in 140 character hashtag ebonics) and Eggers brings his classic lyrical style to a very tech-obsessed world in the not-too-distant future.

#TGIF 
Second, as I'm trying to get back into Instagram and Twitter (Facebook is dead. Long live Facebook) I find that I am forgetting the language and sounding like a big dork. Or maybe probably I always sounded like a big dork and just forgot because I haven't used the programs in a while.  It is a different, less-considered and sharper mindset...people are exposed to such a small slice of you.  I want to make my slice #fabulous, but instead I'm pretty sure my slice is #dorkyteacher. I suppose I could have different accounts for fabulous and dorky teacher, but honestly who has the energy?  And call me old-fashioned, but while most people probably just call multiple social media personalities "good branding", I call multiple anything personalities "schizophrenia".



#deepthoughts #timetogooutside

No comments:

Post a Comment