Thursday, January 28, 2016

Loneliness

Hi readers,

Loneliness terrifies me.  I used to cry during the commercials for Meals on Wheels--the one where a telephone is ringing on the TV and an old woman thinks its in her apartment and gets so excited.  The idea that I might want for company one day makes shaky tears come to my eyes almost immediately.


This topic is on my mind for the saddest of reasons--a story of a dear, old friend feeling so alone and depressed that they didn't know where to turn.  Loneliness lives in the roots of depression, tangled up with a mess of other complicated emotions that leave a person feeling lost and upside down.  If I'd spoken to my friend, I don't know if I would have had a direction to offer in order to escape the maze of shadowy, solitary existence.  I don't know the answer to loneliness.  I'm grateful every day for the wonderful relationships that keep the desperation of loneliness from leaking into the corners of my life.  I hope there is a similar kind of comfort waiting in the great beyond.







No comments:

Post a Comment