Sunday, January 31, 2016

Creativity

Hi readers,

I'm currently in the process of writing my first short story in 25 years.  The last attempt involved a lost toaster that made friends with a dog and was met with rave reviews by my 3rd grade teacher.  She gently corrected my spelling of "taostar" throughout the narrative and said it was "very creative".  

At the time, I figured she told all the students their stories were very creative.  Looking back, I realize:

1) She definitely did do that
2) It was probably true

A story about a lost toaster running around making friends is very creative.  Toasters don't get lost.  They don't even move.  They certainly don't know how to talk.

I ripped down a lot of annoying walls of reality in order to create that idea. My grammar, punctuation and general understanding of writing dialogue were poor at best, but the idea was very creative.

Creativity is a skill that is endlessly resilient.  We obscure it behind traditional ideas.  We ignore it in the face of deadlines at work.  We push it aside to follow a plan.  Writing fiction forces creativity out from the wings of the stage into the spotlight.  At first, it tap dances awkwardly, but eventually it finds the rhythm and shines.  The process of writing again has sparked an interest in being creative that has spilled into my work (I'm more confident about going slightly off task to keep things interesting), my style (I'm trying to wear more necklaces) and my morning routine (I wake up twenty minutes early to do whatever I feel like).  I find happiness and innovation in breaking  these small, self-created rules.  The originality of being me is inspiring. 

South America/2010




No comments:

Post a Comment