Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Lent

Hi readers,

I have been thinking about what to give up for Lent.  Yes, I know--I'm a little late for the party.  Ironically, I have a hard time keeping track of Christian holiday dates in Spain.  The passing of Carnival is hard to equate with the beginning of a season of quiet, reflective thoughts.  Honestly, it's hard to even notice in Madrid--the Carnival season is more pronounced in the south and in the islands.

Truthfully, Lent is hard for me anyway.  I gave up caffeine one year and that was quite successful.  Difficult but rewarding and allowed for lots of thoughtful mornings.  The next year I thought I might give up just coffee and instead get into drinking artisanal tea.  I had a friend explain that picking up new, hipster-inspired hobbies was not really the point.  Lent is meant to be difficult and provoke suffering.  We are remembering death and fasting, after all.

I am not good at choosing activities that provoke my own suffering.

I know a lot of people that give up not doing something.  It seems difficult to define.  For example, when I brought the idea of lent sacrifices at morning coffee yesterday, my coworker said she was going to give up "not being positive."  It lasted almost until the end of coffee (it was Monday).

I do want to mark the occasion, and choose something culturally relevant that will cause me a feeling of deprivation.  Which encourages the important question...why I might want to encourage a feeling of deprivation in my life?

Simply put, I think it's important to remember that life is not always easy.  However, it's hard to equate that feeling with my current material possessions.  I don't know what would best serve as a daily reminder of hardship in my decidedly upper middle class life.  Lack of olive oil?  Restraining from chocolate? 

It's worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment