Thursday, February 11, 2016

Adaptability

Hi readers,

I have not been getting very much sleep this week.  Pathetically enough, I think it's time to cut out afternoon caffeine. Sunday I had a late coffee and didn't close my eyes until 4 AM.  Yesterday, I had a cinnamon tea at 6 PM and was up staring at the wall for the next 8 hours (actually, I took a break to go jogging.  Because, you know--tea energy).  Tonight, I went to an 8 PM dinner but in true Spanish-dinner style, walked back into my apartment at 12:28 AM.  It's good tomorrow is Friday because I don't think my body can take much more of this.

But considering that I am adapting the sleeping patterns of a high-strung teenage girl, my body is actually adapting quite well.  I've had a relatively steady energy level and have kept my patience with writing midterm comments (again) and grading approximately 317 pieces of student work.  I even stayed at work until 6:30 PM today rather cheerfully because I felt (correctly) that I should likely read up on the lecture I'm giving tomorrow (spoiler alert: Introduction to Biodiversity).

The range of conditions the human body and brain can function at are genuinely staggering.  We convince ourselves that all types of scenarios are "normal": war, tax time, last call, homelessness.  In the last 3 months I have trained myself to:

-wake up at 6:40 AM to practice the piano every day
-complete 20 minutes to 1 hour of writing every (other) day
-run 2-3 miles 2 times a week
-wake up and make 2 cups of instant coffee every morning

It looks completely different from my schedule last year, and exists in a different universe from my schedule 5 years ago.  The point is, the schedule exists.  I am generally able to convince myself that any scenario I may find myself in is pleasant and inviting, if not outright enjoyable.

Humans are as adaptable as we make up our minds to be.  It's a pretty lucky characteristic.

Off to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment