Friday, September 11, 2015

iPhone Rules

Hi readers,

The last time I purchased an mobile phone was in 2012.

My beloved Droid 3 had finally broken beyond repair.  I strolled to the Verizon store on 3rd Avenue, convincing myself that change was good.  The panic welling was the same as when I was five and my parents would decide to "upgrade" our refrigerator.  I still have an old-dog eared picture of my tearful, scraggly five-year-old self next to my cherished, ancient refrigerator during our lengthy goodbye.

The nice salesman at the Verizon store was very patient.  He explained at least 3 times that they no longer sold a hybrid keyboard/touch screen phone (gone the way of the Blackberry).  He used slightly different language in each explanation, clearly hoping to get through to me.

I walked out after a lengthy retail-based therapy session with an iPhone 5, feeling like a woman of the future.  I plugged my phone into my computer.  I took a panoramic photo.  I iMessaged.  I FaceTimed.  I became a gleeful member of the iPhone-Steve-Jobs-emoji-alphabet-cult.

For years I have used my phone for everything from calendar reminders to delightfully in accurate Fitness Pal logs to companionship.  In light of the new iPhone 6S-Plus-super-star-rose-gold-whatever with the weird big brother camera, I have been reflecting on my existence as A Person With A Mobile Phone.

I think my cell phone causes some stress in my life. It's time to find the balance between "I-need-my-phone-to-communicate-with-others" and "I-need-my-phone-in-my-hand-at-all-times-incase-something-interesting-happens-on-Instagram".

First, I am going to keep my phone an airplane mode during the day.  I work, frantically, for 10 hours a day. Anything happening on my whatsapp/iMessage/personal email is not necessary. Second, I am not going to use my phone while I'm walking. I think this will have a direct effect on my observational abilities as well as general friendliness and not walking things. Third, I am deleting Facebook. Again.

Not Instagram.  Obviously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment