Monday, June 1, 2015

New York Times: The Price of Nice Nails

Hi readers,

Unless you have been lurching around under a rock for the past week, I assume you have heard sometime about the New York Times nail expose.  "The Price of Nice Nails" and "Perfect Nails, Poisoned Workers" hit a chord with me as a die-hard, manicure-loving New Yorker.  The picture included in the article (see photo) highlighting the staggering abundance of nail salons "in one New York City neighborhood" is actually a picture of MY New York City neighborhood.  As I grew up I watched David's Cookies shops and locksmiths and crackhouses where homeless people hung out (hey--it was the 80's) turn into nail salons and nail salons and nail salons.

Personally, I didn't start getting regular NYC manicures until I moved back to Manhattan in my mid-20s.  But the median age of the manicure customers is getting younger and younger--the salons are routinely full of middle school students, high school students and parents with their kids (girls AND boys, especially in Park Slope where everything is very "equal opportunity").  The Times exposed an important subculture that sounds terribly isolating and depressing.  The articles were carefully researched, poignant and well-written.

 So.  Are you going to stop getting nails done?   I'm probably not.  

And you know what?  I don't feel bad about it.  Here's why:  When I get my nails done, much like when I take a taxi or buy a meal in a restaurant, I tip upwards of 20%.  That means on a $50 mani/pedi/massage package (you NEED to get the package) I tip between $10-$15.  I also usually ask the girl/boy for their name and introduce myself.  If they wants to practice their English, I politely put away my US Weekly New Yorker magazine and have a little conversation. If one of my nails get screwed up, I laugh and ask if it is possible to fix.  In short, when I am at the nail salon (or in one of the myriad of other locations where people work sh*tty service industry jobs in this world) I do my best to ACT LIKE A HUMAN BEING.

I routinely sit next to women (and men, if I'm in Chelsea) that tip with spare change and talk to the salon employees as though they are poorly behaved zoo animals (if they talk to them at all).  This seems unhelpful.  I dedicate the following list to you.

Don't Be a B*tch! How to Behave with People that Work in the Service Industry: A Checklist 

Step 1: Say hello and smile.
Step 2: Don't be a b*tch if you have to wait 5 minutes.  This applies to restaurants, nail salons, Starbucks counters, etc.  Take the time to practice your Zen-like deep breathing.
Step 3: Be clear about what you want.  To clarify: I do not mean "it's now okay to start acting like a b*tch about what you want".  But explicitly state exactly what you want: a menu item, a "square yet round" nail file, extra protein booster in your Jamba Juice, whatever.
Step 4: Also, be clear about time constraints.  If you are in a rush, tell the people what time you have to leave.  They are in the service industry--they want to provide you with good service in the time you have available.
Step 5: Tip 20%.  Don't believe me?  Read the Times articles again.  Seriously.  20%.  

No comments:

Post a Comment