Thursday, October 30, 2014

Always Be Nice

...even when you don't like the person you are talking to.  Even when you're bored and hungry and late for something.  Even when the November doldrums set in and instead of being nice you are just desperately trying to get from one cup of vodka wine coffee tea...yeah...tea to the next without losing your mind. Why, you ask?  Well, funny enough I have been asking myself the same thing lately (the above scenarios are not simply a matter of blog-land fiction).  Here's why I think it's important to be nice:

1. It's good for your blood pressure. When I am having a pleasant conversation with someone, I notice my breathing slow down and my whole body relax.  When I am annoyed, I tense up and get all squinty-eyed like a feral cat (not a good look--in addition to high blood pressure, it gives me meanness bags around my eyes that no Chanel cream can wipe away).

2. It's attractive to be nice.  People notice how you behave.  If you are smiling and being friendly, even though you would rather be ripping your toenails out with a dull knife than listening patiently to some idiot explain (insert dim, obtuse topic here), people want to talk to you.  OTHER people. Interesting, possibly cute/rich/intellectually stimulating single men type people.  So smile and look attentive for 5 minutes.

3. Nice is fabulous.  The goal is to be fabulous.  Mean is kryptonite, the anti-fabulous, the wrinkly, bitter, haggard older sister of fabulous that people simply tolerate.  Everyone wants to be around nice people. And one day you might stop being such a b*tch and decide you want some more friends. So suck it up and stop being so condescending.

More advice on HOW to be nice (EVEN in winter, EVEN when hungover, EVEN when the salesperson at H&M won't let you bring all your damn clothes in the fitting room) are coming soon. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment