Sunday, August 24, 2014

Practice Reflection

Oh, August.  Gazing at my gelato-cellulite dappled pale thighs in the sunlight.  Sweating profusely into my flip flops.  Squinting adorably in the bright, burning sunlight.

Clearly, outdoor activities are not a strong option.  August is a great time to practice activities that can be completed in air-conditioned rooms.  Since the gym sucks and the Kardashians are all reruns, this means I finally have time for the dreaded practice of "self reflection".

Here's the thing about self-reflection-its difficult.  If done correctly it's an intense, creative process akin to art or music.  (I suck at art and music.)  It's time consuming and requires a moderately off-putting amount of thought, especially considering you are thinking about something that ALREADY HAPPENED. I do think it's an important practice, but like other important yet annoying practices (like cooking and picking out cute, cellulite-camouflaging outfits) I believe it is best completed in a streamlined and carefully thought-out order.  So, without further ado, a (short) list of important, meditative questions for self-reflection:

1) Why am I thinking about this?
The things you want to reflect on are in your mind for a reason.  What are the core values of the actions or decisions you are considering? Why is the event important to you?  Once you can distill the values you spend time considering, you can apply them more easily to all areas of your life.
2)  Who do I want to talk to about this?
This question is helpful on many levels for me because I am a talker.  Big-time.  I am constantly searching for ways to make interesting conversation with people.  That being said, I'm terrible at talking about myself.  If I have something that I have already measured and considered I tend to be a little more forth-coming with information. Then people can HELP.  And I love help. I need all the help I can get.
3) What can I do to grow and improve based on this time of reflection?
Yes, good reflection is goal-oriented.  It's peachy to think about all the ways you can become a better person, but as useless as Brittany at a NASA convention (hey girl, you know I love you) unless you actually come up with a plan to change your life.  The magic of the to-do list.

So, in celebration of 1000 page views (thank you!) I am off to reflect on my blog.  I want this to be a beautiful, directed, creative space.  Expect improvements soon!! If there are any suggestions, please feel free to post below.




No comments:

Post a Comment